This is a very useful test to take during the perimenopause or menopause as it shows your balance or imbalance of hormones at this stage in your life.
It also shows how well you detoxify oestrogen which is important to know especially if you have a history or higher risk of breast cancer.
Stress can have a profound effect on your emotional and physical well-being, affecting everyone at some point and causing symptoms including weight gain, depression, digestive problems, hormonal imbalance and many more. Continued imbalance of stress hormones can wear the body down, triggering chronic fatigue. An altered cortisol pattern can contribute to sleep irregularities or feelings of exhaustion that are not relieved by rest or sleep.
Your adrenal function is also crucial at the menopause because as your ovaries produce less oestrogen, your adrenal glands produce a form of oestrogen called oestrone. Research has shown that if you have higher levels of cortisol going through the menopause you can have much more extreme symptoms.
What this test measures:
- Oestrogen and the metabolites indicating how you detoxify oestrogen
- Testosterone and metabolites of testosterone including the most active form
- DHEA (a master hormone)
- Cortisol and its breakdown products
- Your stress hormone pattern over the course of the day
- Organic acids which are indicators of vitamin B6 and B12 deficiencies
- Markers of oxidative stress which can contribute to cell damage, inflammation and pain
- Neurotransmitters – dopamine, serotonin, epinephrine/norepinephrine – which are critical in regulating mood, sleep, motivation and energy
- Melatonin which is the hormone that regulates sleep
Who should take this test?
- Any women going through the perimenopause or menopause
- Any woman who is concerned about how well they detoxify oestrogen which is important to know especially if you have a history or higher risk of breast cancer.
- Any woman who would prefer to avoid a blood test to assess their hormones
- Any woman who wants to have a comprehensive assessment of their hormones
- We will organise for the lab to send you the kit.
- The instructions are detailed so please read carefully before proceeding.
- Please perform the test on a day when you will be available at the times to produce the samples.
- The test results will be returned to your nutritionist.
- The test results will be interpreted by your nutritionist at the consultation and then a personalised diet and supplement programme will be tailored to your needs.