Your Plan of Action – The Natural Approach
- Reduce high-sugar processed foods and increase fruits, vegetables, fish and plant-based vegetarian meals
- Try fasting for 12 hours overnight to boost your metabolism
- Increase exercise and levels of daily activity
- We can help you if you need guidance or support to stick with a meal plan
- If you feel you have tried the usual methods and it is not working for you, there may be an underlying cause which we can help you understand
- Best Test Options – Nutritional Profile MGL4, Thyroid Tests, Adrenal Stress Test, Food Intolerances, DNA Test
There are many reasons why you might be looking for further support for weight management – perhaps you identify with some of the reasons listed here?
- You simply want to understand more about nutrition and find out the best approach to support your weight and your health
- You would like to hear from an expert nutritionist to differentiate the facts from the diet myths
- You can’t shift the fat that sits around the middle which is an important risk factor in type 2 diabetes, heart disease and Alzheimer’s
- You need further support, more regular check-ins and accountability to stay on track
- You feel you have tried all the usual approaches and something is stuck for you. Weight loss is not as easy as it used to be and perhaps there is an underlying cause why the weight is not shifting now
- You have an eating disorder or an unhealthy relationship with food and weight.
- You would like to achieve a stable weight and focus on your health rather than the scales.
Can Nutrition Help?
A well-balanced diet is the obvious and healthy long-term weight management goal. Eating just enough but not too many calories for your energy expenditure may help keep you at optimal weight. But not all calories are created equal.
Eating balanced meals with a good amount of protein or healthy fat will fill you up and provide sustainable lasting energy. The aim is to fuel your metabolism into fat-burning mode rather than try to starve yourself. Feeling fuller for longer rather than feeling deprived will also help you to stay away from sugary treats and grabbing extra snacks. You cannot survive on willpower alone to reduce your food intake, this is not sustainable.
Fat Around The Middle
The fat cells that sit around the middle of our waist are particularly bad for your health. If you carry excess weight here you are at increased risk for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke and Alzheimer’s along with some cancers. This is because these fats cells are different to the ones that surround the rest of our body. Other fat cells are quite inactive – they could be considered as storage facilities where fat is stored quietly. Fat cells from around the middle are like active factories, releasing toxins, inflammatory substances, excess oestrogen and increasing damage to organs. It can be difficult to shift this weight but adopting a well-balanced diet high in fish, vegetables and fruit and low in carbohydrates is a good place to start. Our expert nutritionists have been helping people to shift this type of fat for over ten years. Ask us for support if this is an area of concern for you.
We can help you with the best diet for you before you embark on strict diets like Atkins, keto, paleo that may not be sustainable or healthy in the long term. Portion size is important and we can help you with this as well as showing you the benefits of fasting overnight for 12 hours.
What If You Have Tried Everything And Nothing Seems To Work Anymore?
If you are really struggling to understand why the weight is not shifting, it might be time to look for an underlying imbalance.
- During the menopause, hormonal changes can make it more difficult and more challenging to lose weight and you may need to change your diet in ways you did not need to before
- Thyroid conditions are also extremely common and can cause weight gain or weight loss resistance
- Imbalances in gut bacteria are very important. The relationship of our gut bacteria with our metabolism is critical and this could be something that has been damaged over years
- Stress can make us ‘hold’ on to weight and affect our metabolism. This can be supported through diet, supplements and other stress management techniques
As well as eating a healthy diet, supplementation can be beneficial to help improve your metabolism and your body’s ability to burn fat. Also if you are deficient in certain nutrients, your body will find it harder to let go of weight and especially around your middle. Minerals like chromium can help with food cravings, co-enzyme Q10 can help shift fat around the middle because it releases energy by burning fat.
Amino acids are also vital to losing weight and fat around the middle as they help to burn fat by increasing muscle.
Tests For Weight Management
Your metabolism is a complicated set of reactions which turn your food into energy rather than storing it as fat. At every step of the way, you need vitamins and minerals to keep the whole system moving. Our Nutritional Profile MGL4 can show whether you have deficiencies in minerals such as zinc and magnesium, required for efficient metabolism.
If you are struggling with weight loss and are looking for underlying causes, our nutritionists will be able to advise you whether thyroid tests or an adrenal stress test could help you to understand a possible root cause.
Food intolerances could be affecting your ability to lose weight and this can be easily tested
Also new research into genetics suggests that you can find out what is your ideal way to eat depending on your DNA see genetic profiles for more information.
Where To Start?
If you need support with meal plans or regular check-ins, ask us about our weight management plans. If you would like to understand the possible root causes of your weight loss resistance, we can help you to take the next steps with testing and to help you know which is the most appropriate test for you.
If you would like personalised advice on what to do next, then request a consultation with one of our qualified nutritionists.